Friday, February 1, 2013

Going about building the Multi-perspective dashboard.

In my previous post on the topic, I had expressed my thoughts on conceptualizing a multi-perspective multi-organization dashboard. I had presented the ideas of operational, strategic and policy dashboards.

Tying together operational, strategic and policy dashboards

The key question then becomes how do you tie all these together. My personal understanding at this point is that each of these are related/ need to be related.

Essentially, based on the definition provided in the previous post , the only way these can be compared and eventually tied together is by looking at different time horizons. The operational dashboard is looking at real time data to decide if there is something that urgently needs attention.

The policy level is directing my attention at two levels. How am I doing towards my long term goals as well as if there is something that I did on the recent past where I deviated from my principles or the means I have adopted to achieve my ends.

Last but not the least, my strategy is measuring if the approach that I have adopted towards my goals is effective or not. These should all be driven from the same data points, but should present the data differently.

Going across organizations

In a multi-organization dashboard, the three perspectives mean different things to different people. Where as for a utility, an operational dashboard implies real time information probably being acquired from different sensors and a policy dashboard implies adherence to norms set by a regulatory body, the regulatory body would see the policy level KPIs from the utility being aggregated  and reported as part of its operational dashboard.

Also varying, would be the grain of the data. For a utility, a minute level or 15 minute interval data would be reported at the operational level, where as the regulatory body may see a day level or week/month level data as the grain at which data is reported. To me, all these aspects need to be storyboarded by the architects at the start of the project to make sure, we can achieve outcomes desired by different stakeholders within such multi-organization dashboards.

This is my take at this point, and lets see how this changes going forward.

No comments: